Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum (https://www.voltforums.com/forums/)
-   Chevy Volt General Discussion (https://www.voltforums.com/forums/5-chevy-volt-general-discussion/)
-   -   Volt needs variable height suspension (https://www.voltforums.com/forums/5-chevy-volt-general-discussion/642-volt-needs-variable-height-suspension.html)

markswindvolt1 05-12-2013 11:32 PM

Volt needs variable height suspension

Hi, I love my new Volt. I cringe when the front end scrapes on the ground going into or backing out of a steep driveway. I see the Tesla Model S has a variable height suspension. According to a Tesla represenative I talked to and the article I am linking to. Does anyone know if GM has a way to upgrade the Volt to variable height suspension or if this feature will be added in 2014 or if there is an after market solution? Perhaps this topic has been covered elsewhere if so this newbie apologies, let me know where to look on the forum please.

TSquare 05-13-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markswindvolt1 (Post 1314)
Hi, I love my new Volt. I cringe when the front end scrapes on the ground going into or backing out of a steep driveway. I see the Tesla Model S has a variable height suspension. According to a Tesla represenative I talked to and the article I am linking to. Does anyone know if GM has a way to upgrade the Volt to variable height suspension or if this feature will be added in 2014 or if there is an after market solution? Perhaps this topic has been covered elsewhere if so this newbie apologies, let me know where to look on the forum please.

Don't worry about the front air dam scraping. It is made of soft rubber and is designed to scrape with very little if any damage. If it really bothers you, you can order a shorter air dam from GM, I'm not sure of the cost. Mine scrapes every day entering and exiting my driveway but it sounds a lot worse than it actually is.

markswindvolt1 05-13-2013 01:28 AM

air dam scraping

That's an interesting perspective on the situation. I know that my air dam seems to be in 3 sections that snap together. The first week, the spot where two of the air dam sections meet came un-snapped and I haven't been able to put it back the way it should be. I will take a look at my air dam and see how it is holding up otherwise.

Worlock 05-30-2013 01:25 AM

Break Away Spoiler

*Agree* with TSquare. The bottom spoiler in the front is rubber and designed to "break away" and still remain intact. Test it yourself and you'll see that it won't break off. The older cars would get damaged from bottoming out. With the Volt; they figured that out. It's all part of the aerodynamics.

Have no fear!

Eduard hvan 01-04-2014 05:32 AM

Volt needs variable height suspension

Height adjustment is most often achieved by air or oil compression used for the "springs" of the vehicle - when the pressure is varied - the vehicle body rises or lowers.

Head_Unit 05-11-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worlock (Post 1386)
*Agree* with TSquare. The bottom spoiler in the front is rubber and designed to "break away" and still remain intact. Test it yourself and you'll see that it won't break off. The older cars would get damaged from bottoming out. With the Volt; they figured that out. It's all part of the aerodynamics.

Have no fear!

Disagree, at least partially. Ours has also separated at the joint, and scrapes CONSTANTLY, no matter how carefully driven. In my opinion it is a design flaw which I am afraid WILL break and they will want to charge me for repair, or charge me at lease return.

I read elsewhere GM will swap out free for a shorter one, but haven't tried that yet.

I'm not concerned about the aerodynamics and range reduction, since 90% of the driving is city speeds.