Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum (https://www.voltforums.com/forums/)
-   Chevy Volt General Discussion (https://www.voltforums.com/forums/5-chevy-volt-general-discussion/)
-   -   Volt Charger (https://www.voltforums.com/forums/5-chevy-volt-general-discussion/49884-volt-charger.html)

Gary Dennis 04-27-2020 08:43 PM

Volt Charger

Recently, my charger stopped charging and I found that the outlet it was plugged into (110 volt) and the plug from the charger sort of welded together. The outlet was charred and one of the charger prongs had what looked like melting damage. I had a knowledgeable guy come out and replace the wall outlet and then I started up the charger again. It has worked ok for a few weeks, but today it again welded together and charred the outlet. Plus this time the one of the prongs on the charger stayed in the wall outlet. I definitely believe the issue is with the charger, not the wall outlet. Does anyone know if it is possible to just put a new plug head on the charger rather than buy a new charger? And is this something an electrician can do? Chargers go for around $500.00. (Meantime, I'm having to run an extension from my freezer in the garage into the house, and wifey is going nuts.) Help please and thanks.

kellysmith 05-01-2020 12:59 AM

Yes you can. We had a very similar problem with two of our Volts. One of them was still in warranty and we received a new charger that fixed the issue. A second volt had the same problem (both were 2012) and since it was out of warranty, and we did not want to purchase another charger, we simply replaced the plug on the outlet end and have had no problems since. That was a year or two ago for the plug replacement.

gtls1 05-15-2020 01:36 AM

Yes you can. Make sure you buy a heavy duty plug and tight down the wires into the new plug. Also, I would highly recommend a heavy duty or industrial wall outlet for this purpose.

The issue is heat generated at the contact surface. That is where corrosion and oxidation can happen. With charging on 120V that last easily 12 hours, the heat will build up and transfer most of that heat to the plug and wall outlet (copper is a good conductor right?). So, it is important to check the plug blades for surface corrosion and make sure you have a heavy duty or industrial grade outlet that reduces the chance of heat build up. Those heavy duty receptacles often have better grade metal and less likely to corrode.

Personally, I highly recommend installing an EVSE that is 240V which charges faster and safer to use than the "portable" (aka temporary) EVSE that comes with the car.