Any improvements in the stereo systems for 2014? - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Any improvements in the stereo systems for 2014?

Hi all,
I ordered a 2013 volt last year but due to a miscommunication about the lease payment I was never able to pick it up, but I did get to drive it and I'm thinking of trying again. My one complaint about it was that the stereo was absolutely awful. I thought I ordered the top of the line stereo with subwoofer but it sounded like a radio out of a rental car, seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2013, 04:40 PM

We have a 2013 and I have to agree that the sound system could use some improvement. The front speakers are tiny and if you're cruising at 75 on the freeway the road noise drowns out the stereo sound at any reasonable volume. Also it requires a number of "key strokes" to get the XM, FM, etc. page up on the center screen. FAV doesn't do the job as I can't get my finger to the station selections fast enough to change the station before it reverts back to whatever mode it was previously in. Maybe a learning curve here but I still love the car!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 06:11 PM

radio sound

I think the sound is fine in my 2014 volt. For $1395.00 for a Bose and Naviagation, I did not think it was worth it. I bought a $100 garmin GPS plus I have On-Star navigation as well.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 05:54 AM

Most of the features that i like very much are Key-less Access, passive unlock and lock on all doors and liftgate Audio interface, USB port, located in center console, Battery Warranty - 8 Years/100,000 Miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by anastasia2612; 02-13-2014 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Spelling Mistake
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 05:24 PM

I thought the sound in mine wasn't too terrible either.

Last edited by Jane McCafferty; 06-06-2014 at 03:26 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 11:18 PM

I'm actually an audio engineer and loudspeaker designer. But I don't drive this Volt; the person who does just listens to the radio as background. So we did not upgrade the sound.

That said, I think the sound is pretty decent. Yes, there is something missing in the lower mid bass, and the clarity is not the ultimate.

It is quite possible the "upgraded" stereo tries too hard to impress and is boosted/bloated.

It's also VERY possible, if you listened to a test drive model, that the tone controls were all boosted to the max, which makes everything sound like [email protected] You should take some CDs of music you like, or better yet load select tracks to your phone and be sure to take an 1/8" to 1/8" AUX cord. Go in to the audio menu, be sure everything is set to flat except the fader should be several notches forward to minimize the rear speaker sound.* Now listen while stopped and while driving, to a base car and Bose car.

There is also a setting (I forget the name) which appears to be speed dependent volume. I'm not sure if this also changes equalization dynamically.

*You don't listen in stereo at home with rear speakers, do ya? So why would you in the car? It's just a historical accident, turn that nonsense from the back down! (True surround sound is a different story, but not offered in the Volt)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2014, 11:33 PM

I don't know if we mentioned it before but Battery Warranty is extremely important ... It can come up for a couple of hundreds of dollars at the best case.... Don't skip it - 8 years/100K

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 PM

My 3 cents

Yes I agree - It is quite possible the "upgraded" stereo tries too hard to impress and is boosted/bloated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode