Programming Peak and Off Peak charging - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Programming Peak and Off Peak charging

We just got a 2013 Volt and I'm trying to figure out the charge programming for our situation. We have a year round (no summer/winter) Peak rate from 3 PM until 6 PM on weekdays only and the rest of the time (including all day weekends) at Off Peak. I'm trying to figure out if the "Departure Time" figures into this. Right now I think I select [Delayed Charge] mode then edit departure time to 3 PM Mon - Fri and randomly picked 10 AM on weekends just to have something to enter.
Then I end up on [Delayed Rate & Departure Time Charge] mode and select "charge during off peak rates". Then to [Electric Rate Plan] and select "Yearly". Then program the times as [Start 12 AM , Finish 3 PM (Off-Peak)], [Start 3 PM, Finish 6 PM (Peak)] and [Start 6 PM, Finish 12 AM (Off-Peak)]. That's for weekdays. For the weekends I just set [Start 12 AM, Finish 12AM, (Off Peak)].
However there's a statement (Page 5-33) that says if the settings I programmed result in a very long charge completion time it will start charging immediately. Kind of negates all the programming I just did, say if for instance, I got home at 2:30 PM > Plugged the car in and wasn't planning on using it again until the next morning. I'd like to be able to just plug in the car when I get home and have it charge around my programmed time schedule not based on some estimated time that I may or may not use it.

Big question is: Am I programming this correctly for my objective?

Last edited by rotorgoat8; 06-11-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: I programmed it as above with the exception of using 10AM for both weekday and weekend as the Departure Time. Works great and stops the charge at 3PM and resumes at 6PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 AM

How to view off-peak program

Once one has programmed the off-peak times, how can you easily view it? I don't see any option in the Volt web site, car display, or the Android App to easily see what charging options are chosen. I have a complex program and would like to make sure that it is entered correctly.

Thanks,
Rick

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

I'm working from the 2013 manual in section 5-34. As you follow the instructions on programming the Electric Rate Schedule (pages 5-34 and 35) when you're finished (on page 5-36) you'll see the "View Schedule". That is what it looks like and should show your Winter, Summer or Yearly (if you chose that) schedule for weekdays and weekends. If it's not what you want you can edit it from that page.
Mine was simple: Weekdays showed PEAK from 3PM to 6PM and OFF PEAK the rest of the time. Weekends were OFF PEAK 12AM to 12AM.

Hope this helps!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 03:19 PM

just view

Thanks, I was hoping to just view the settings without having to reprogram. I have a complex program - several starts and stops - and it takes a while to enter. Would seem that one should just be able to look at their settings before going through the whole programming process.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

I think I tried to find that page before I programmed mine but it didn't come up. Possibly because there was no program to show -- I think it is initially set to charge when plugged in. Once I entered my data it had something to show on that page.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 07:54 AM

Post Chevy Volt General Discussion!

Can any buddy tell me, How can i sale this Chevrolet volt????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode