Need Adapter for 240V Outlet - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Today, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Need Adapter for 240V Outlet

I just purchased a 2017 Chevy Volt LT and I am trying to learn about charging in my garage. The outlet in my garage is a standard 110 volt, but I have a 240 volt outlet (10-30R, 3-prongs) for my dryer that is just inside the house right next to the garage, so a 20-foot cable will reach it easily. I have attached a picture of my dryer outlet here.

I've been reading the forums about using the EVSE that comes standard with the car and plugging it into a 240-volt (dryer) outlet using an adapter for faster charging.

My question is about the adapter. I read some postings from three years ago that said you cannot simply buy this adapter. Some people in the Volt forums were apparently making their own adapters. Is it still the case that I cannot simply buy an adapter at Home Depot or somewhere like that? I found one adapter at Home Depot that seems to "almost" suit my purpose, but it has 4-prongs rather than the 3-prong plug I need. Even if I can find a 3-prong adapter, I don't know if this will serve my purpose. It looks like it might "downgrade" the 240-volt outlet to 110-volt power, and that's not what I'm trying to do. Please excuse my terminology. I am a novice at electrical issues, obviously.

I would like to get an adapter rather than pay $395 at Clipper Creek for their 240V EVSE. Please let me know if I can purchase an adapter at any retail outlet or perhaps through someone on this forum.

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

MCoad, Florida
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dryer Outlet (Medium).jpg (86.9 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode