Real world highway MPG - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 03:42 AM Thread Starter

Real world highway MPG

I'm looking to start a new job here within the next 6 months or so, and will have to make a commute of approx an hour and a half each way for the first couple years, until I can move closer. It wouldn't be worth it if it wasn't 2-3x what I'm making now. Of the hour and a half drive there, all but maybe 25-30 minutes of it will be highway. The drive home would be all but maybe 5 minutes highway. (would have to take my son to babysitters on the way to work) I wouldn't be able to charge once I get there, because I will be out and about in the car several times a day. I work for a Hyundai dealership now, and was planning on getting a new Elantra, rated at 40mpg highway. I have customers that are getting better than that too. Just wondering what kind of mileage people are getting over long trips. Trying to figure out if the mileage is any better to warrant the more than 2x cost of an Elantra. Plus, with this kind of driving, the battery warranty would be shot in no time, thus leading to a very expensive replacement cost compared to a regular gas fed vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 AM

How many miles round trip would your commute be? I travel just under 60 miles round trip so I make it all the way to work on battery alone. However, since those at my work are a bunch of blowhards, they won't let me plug in there so the trip home is using some gas.

Today for example, I drove 55 miles total. Thirty-two miles of that was all electric and the final 23 (I'm rounding off of course) was on gas. The Volt keeps track of how many miles are driven off of which source of power (electric/gas). So, in the final 23 miles I burned 0.6 gallons of gas which worked out to 38 MPG (again, I'm rounding off). Figure in the first 32 miles on electric and the total "MPGe" (equivalent) for the day was...92 MPGe.

Gas mileage in the Volt depends entirely on how often you are able to charge it up. If you drive further than I do and are also unable to charge between uses then your fuel economy will be lower than mine. The simplest way to think about it would be this...if you NEVER charged up the Volt you'd still average 35-40 MPG.

I hope this helps.

Geoff.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 06:43 PM

I've heard if you do one solid overnight charge, you should be able to generate anywhere between 25 to 50 miles on the electric charge alone. Once the gas portion kicks in, you should be able to get around 344 to 350 miles with a full tank in tow. Granted, these are just estimates, because it can be dependent on how the owner drives, whether they are stressing the Volt more than usual, and what not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 12:05 AM

New Volt Owner

I'm into my second week with the car.

I put together a blog to document my real world experiences with the Volt for anyone interested.

http://home.comcast.net/~mi_volt/site/

Nothing scientific, just observations.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 03:21 PM

When I drive from B.C Canada to Yuma AZ every winter I get 40 miles to the gal, I do the speed limit. 22,000 miles and never been in the shop, great car!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode