2016 Volt won't turn off - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

2016 Volt won't turn off

When turning off, get message "Not in Park", but it is in Park and shows "P" in display and locks shifter in Park. Chevy says it's a known problem. Anybody have a work-around to get car to turn off? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 06:39 PM

I have the same problem. I'm not able to turn my car off. Also a 2016 Volt.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:28 PM
ERF

Same problem with my 2016 Volt.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 01:15 PM

Same problem, going in for warranty service this week. Hopefully will get some info at dealership.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:14 PM

Same problem here. Started a couple weeks ago. Restarting once, then turning off again seemed to work, but today, after several attempts, it still won't turn off.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 01:13 PM

I've had the same problem for the past month. The problem occurs about 1 in four attempts to turn off vehicle. Brought the car to a Chevy dealership today but they couldn't reproduce the fault. They said no faults were registered in the diagnostic. They were not aware of this being a pervasive problem. I plan on photographing the dash the next few times it happens for the next service call.

Last edited by L3VIRGINIA; 11-13-2018 at 01:18 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:35 AM

I have the same problem. I'm not able to turn my car off. Also a 2016 Volt.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:56 PM
dhc

Me too

This is happening to me with my 2018 Volt.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:15 PM

Has there been any updates regarding the cause? It’s happening on my 2018 Volt.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM

This issue has been happening to many volt owners as well as many other chevy vehicle models.

The cause is not 100% pinned down yet but I taken some actions which lead me to strongly believe the cause of "shift to Park" messages especially when they start to occur intermittently, are because of a small microswitch built into the shifter which is supposed to sense when the car is in Park. It starts becoming intermittent and then finally fails OPEN once and for all. Chevy appears to have decided NOT to cover the fix under warranty They completely replace the shifter, which obviously then has a new switch in it. Some people have paid upwards of $450 to get this fixed, all because of a $5 microswitch.

Some with this problem as intermittent have found that squeezing the shifter handle (volt shifter handles have a button built into the knob at the top), if they squeeze this "button" a few times they can often resolve the problem, temporarily, until the next time. This is because I believe (from having opened things up and looked at the shifter and this small switch) squeezing the shifter know ALSO moves the switch through it's on and off positions. Since the switch has become intermittent, it is not surprising to me that tickling it a little, occasionally causes the switch to work again, at least once in a while. It all depends on how bad the switch contacts are degraded.

Having been through several troubleshooting steps on my own and having even removed and reinstalled this little switch, I have decided to buy several new switches so that I can repair my vehicle when my switch goes bad. Yes, my switch is not actually bad yet, I just decided to investigate the problem BEFORE it left me or my wife stranded somewhere.

Like I say, I cannot say with 100% certainty TO YOU that this microswitch is the cause, but I do say that to myself as I have troubleshot this issue electrically and mechanically within the last 7 days.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.