Chevy Volt silent no more: legislation requires EV vroom - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Chevy Volt silent no more: legislation requires EV vroom

One of the greatest joys of teenage drivers is to rev the engine of their cars, the loudness of the rumble of the motor a measure of the coolness they feel. But, without a motor, electric cars like the Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf make no purring sound. The lack of engine noise is not merely an aesthetic defect to the teenage driver; it also is a safety concern for the blind as well as the distracted who may not know a car is swishing inches by them at 30 mph. To address this issue, recently passed legislation will require the Chevy Volt to get some vroom.

In a rare display of nonpartisanship, both the Senate and the House approved the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act, which now goes to the Presidentís desk for his signature. The act requires the Secretary of Transportation to establish standards and performance requirements for a means to alert pedestrians that an EV is operating nearby. The act gives a year and a half for the sound requirements to be developed.

The National Federation of the Blind is delighted that the legislation passed. Obviously, the blind need to hear the sound of traffic to judge how to safely cross intersections. The act also will benefit bicyclists who also rely on sound to know if a car is coming behind them, as well as inattentive pedestrians (which are pretty much all of us at sometime or another) who donít really expect to see a car unless they hear it first.

In anticipation of the legislative requirements, car manufacturers are already planning to include alert noises on their EVís and hybrids starting next year. GM will unveil a distinctive noise for the Volt, which may be something like "bruup, bruup.Ē Although this sound will alert pedestrians, teenage drivers will likely remain disappointed by the vroom of EVís.

original source - http://taintedgreen.com/government-p...m/000874/mm-17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 10:51 PM

Question Pedestrian Warning Sound in 2016 Volt

The dealer (and myself) have been told that this device exists, but frankly neither of us has been able to hear it as yet. I have had the car for a month, and I have startled several pedestrians. I am being very careful, but I am also wondering whether the device has to be activated, and if so how to do so. Any help in doing same will be appreciated.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 01:40 PM

My 2015 volt has 2 horns
One regular horn
And the second horn is a pedestrian horn, which barely makes any noise but people will know you are there
The 2016 volts have a speaker in the engine compartment and it generates "white noise" when you get below 25 mph.
2016 model did away with the pedestrian horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode