What exactly does the Voltec charging system do? - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

What exactly does the Voltec charging system do?

Recently released price of $490 (not to mention installation) has me wondering what it does besides having the right shape connector. Obviously the "charging system" is not onboard the vehicle as it comes off the assembly line.

So, does it have a timer? Does it shut off the flow of current (i.e. charging) when the lithium-ion battery pack is fully charged? I mean, just how sophisticated can this thing be to command nearly five bills?

GM blood runs through my veins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
Recently released price of $490 (not to mention installation) has me wondering what it does besides having the right shape connector. Obviously the "charging system" is not onboard the vehicle as it comes off the assembly line.

So, does it have a timer? Does it shut off the flow of current (i.e. charging) when the lithium-ion battery pack is fully charged? I mean, just how sophisticated can this thing be to command nearly five bills?
It's basically a 240v charger for any EV equipped with a SAE J1772 charge port. Even though its a Chevy product it can still charge other EV's as long as it has the proper port. The biggest benefit to having it is being able to fully charge the volts battery in about 4 hours compared to 10 hours for the standard 110v charger it comes with.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

But, another way of putting my question is why can't I just run a 240VAC line off my household electrical box to the garage and put the proper plug on the end of it (assuming it's not a male ) to plug directly into the port on the fender? What's $490 getting me besides the right plug?

GM blood runs through my veins.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 06:04 PM

It'll give you piece of mind knowing that Chevy will cover you if anything happens to the charger or car due to improper charging. Realistically you can get the same thing done for a lot less money. But in the end is it worth risking a $40k investment(Volt)?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 05:36 PM

Charger

From what I have read/researched on the internet the 240V charger is about $1,400-$1,500 MSRP NOT installed. They also indicate $400-$500 to install. If you have the capacity, you should only need to install a 220-240 breaker in you household box and then wire (in conduit) the charger to that breaker. Depends on your electrical knowledge and mechanical skills, but I would install myself. My breaker box is in the garage and all I have to do is have wife switch places with my car so the Volt is right next to the charger. I do not know how long the coiled cord is but with my situation it doesn't matter.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 12:55 PM

The Voltec, and other charging stations are "smart" with safeguards and diagnostics built in. Using a simple 240 line with the SAE connector is a "dumb" source that doesn't really talk to the battery.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM

Since these chargers can be using on multiple brands of vehicles it sounds like there is a standard of sorts so one should be able to go out and find that standard and build their own if they so desire. Whereas the 120V system has the smarts in the box between the male and female plug. If you search wikipedia for 240 volt car charger you will find a good article explaining what is done where and why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode