optimal EV range - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

optimal EV range

Hi there,
just wanted to get a sense from other Volt users what they're doing to optimize the EV range from their 2016 Volt.
I personally find myself shifting to L when driving in the city, and normal D with paddle usage when on the highway.
I'm not sure whether constantly shifting between L and D will have future consequences or not, but it would be nice to get some manufacturer input on this.
Also, we have a lot of hills here in CA, so I find myself switching to 'hold' quite often when going uphill. It seems to make sense to use gas for the heavy lifting without watching your miles drain quickly.
I also use cruise control often which seems to use pull energy more evenly vs. the constant accelerating/decelerating use of the pedal.
I often wonder if its even worth doing all these things...maybe it all balances out in the end, but these are some of the things I am trying.
Any else have any input?

Last edited by powrslave; 06-10-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powrslave View Post
Hi there,
just wanted to get a sense from other Volt users what they're doing to optimize the EV range from their 2016 Volt.
I personally find myself shifting to L when driving in the city, and normal D with paddle usage when on the highway.
Yup - that sounds great.

There is no harm in switching from D to L and back at any time. Pretty much all that "L" does is change the balance of regenerative breaking -- when in "L" and you take your foot off the "electric pedal" (how long are we going to call them gas pedals?), it automatically activates the regenerative braking. When your foot is completely off the pedal, it's similar to holding down the regen paddle on the back of the steering wheel.

"L" is great for going down hills (ie, driving around San Francisco, or up in the mountains).

Another note: When you press on the brake, the first method of slowing you down is regenerative braking. If you press harder, eventually the regen braking can't slow you down that fast, and it will apply the real brake calipers to turn your forward momentum into waste heat. The nice thing about using the "L" mode (or the paddle on the steering wheel) is that you know you're not wasting energy with the real brakes unless you need it to stop suddenly.

Quote:
Also, we have a lot of hills here in CA, so I find myself switching to 'hold' quite often when going uphill. It seems to make sense to use gas for the heavy lifting without watching your miles drain quickly.
I'm not so sure about that one... As long as you're getting to the next charging station before running out of juice, I'd stick with the electricity going up hills. I'm not an expert in the area, but in general electricity is cheaper than gas. You still have to burn power to make it up the hill. Might as well burn the cheap power.

Quote:
I also use cruise control often which seems to use pull energy more evenly vs. the constant accelerating/decelerating use of the pedal.
This may depend on how attentive you are. If you're really concentrating on getting the last drop of every electron, you can do better than cruise control. But if you're just driving along paying little attention to the hills & your speed, then cruise control is the way to go (and may save you a ticket too!).
On a flat straight road, cruise control is probably the way to go. But if you're going up & down hills, you can pick up speed a bit on the downhill, and lose that speed on the next uphill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode