2013 Volt battery capacity problem - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

2013 Volt battery capacity problem

Been loving our 2013 volt for about a year and a half. Mainly my wifes car, but I've gotten some pretty good runs in it... Have done as much as 47 miles on a charge. Not something you'd want to do on a daily basis (too much work!).. Well about 3 weeks ago we got the service high voltage charging system message and would only run on the ICE. Has not been to the dealer for any of the updates nor an oil change since we've had it (22k miles).

Problem ended up being a coolant leak and a battery module (online $960 so not so bad maybe $4k for whole battery) which looks like about 1/3 of the battery, our section was the forward part under the console, yeah the big section... and only $960.. again not too bad. Well they had it a week then we got it back. They have to ship diagnostic tools to the dealerships so that's a day or 2..

Well my wife was saying the estimated range was staying at 29, but I know that varies so we'd see where it'd level out at. Well it never came back up. I drove it the past 2 days for 3 full charges.

From a full charge I'm getting only 9.0 kWh where I was getting 10.9 constantly. So a 17% drop. I understand it may have been a "refurbished battery module" so I might have gotten stuck with well If 1/3 of the battery contributes to the 17% then that particular module would be a lot worse than 17%.....

I'll be calling the dealership for an appointment. There's not much info out there on these so I thought I'd share and update.. and we were debating a volt #2, but that's off the table at the moment...

But what's the common total kWh you guys are getting... 9 should be way off right?

Last edited by fastinated; 03-11-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Well all this time an no posts. Site looks good, but sucks for info! So here is the update....

After a week, well what I thought nothing wrong... or so they say... It was like trying to communicate a foreign language.. Had no idea about basic electrical theory... But for some reason I was getting a consistant 9.0 kwh per charge then went 9.7 then a 10.0 where it was for the last 2 charges.. Still not 10.8/.9... So I'm done with this crap.. I'm calling GM this week to see if I can get a fellow nerd to talk to..

But basically according to the service manager their hands are tied when working on the volt.. Only basic systems can be fixed w/o engineers prior approval.. My guess is to keep the techs from getting hurt...

So with the lack of knowledge at a smaller dealership I'd highly suggest finding one that deals with volts more than the rest.. We bought at hendrick in NC and should have taken it there for service, but it's 3x the distance.

That's my update, I may update this later, but doesn't look like other forums I belong too.. Nobody participates here....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 04:52 PM

Hello,

Just joined this group. Hope the participation improves. Were you able to get resolution on the battery problem? We have had our Volt since Sept. with no issues.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

No improvement yet. And yes seems there are no posters here. Think there is a better volt forum, but I'm just blahhh about all this.

We have a 08 civic that just got the motor replaced for free at 92k due to a flawed block.. So now that we just got that fixed it's time for the volt.

We have been doing full charge to discharges writing down the total amperage drawn from battery. With a few outliers it's stuck at 9.5 kwh average. Were getting in the low 30's on range.. We've got to call a volt advisor, but when it goes back it'll be the 3rd time.. A total inconvenience.. So may wait til kids are out of school in 4 weeks. The car runs fine, just a reduced range...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 11:02 PM

Ours is a pretty new 2014, but I *think* we're usually pretty close to 11 kWh. I'll start trying to notice, but I'm not the primary driver.

As for the range, when fully charge our shows 36 to 43. Seems to depend on the weather.

I'm not sure if it adjusts that expected mileage based on the driving history. I get significantly more range than my wife does, since I've very conscious about acceleration and especially the braking.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 07:17 PM

Exclamation service high voltage charging system

I have 2011 volt. I got the message " service high voltage charging system " 2 days before i.e. on 15-Aug-2015. I had gone thru the several forums. I took it to the dealer today. I hope it should be covered under warranty. If any electrical things related to high voltage charging system not covered for atleast 10 years, then we should really think about buying these cars.

I will keep you posted on what happened at dealership. But, Does anyone know if it covers under "VOLTEC limited warranty" ??
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 09:41 AM

My 2015 volt had an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on the battery/voltec system.
And 5 year/100,000 mile warranty on the generator
3 year36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty on everything.
Hope you got it fixed without any problems.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 05:14 PM

The CARB states have a 10yr/150,000 mile warranty on the voltec/battery pack
The rest of us have the 8year/100,000 mile warranty on the voltec/battery system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.