Sponsored Editorial Content
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chevrolet Volt Fires Investigated, Batteries Blamed
A Chevrolet Volt that went through crash-testing at a NHTSA facility in Wisconsin caught on fire three weeks after the test, prompting action from U.S. regulators.
While the investigation hasn't been made public, sources told Bloomberg that the fire was severe enough to damage surrounding vehicles. An incident also occurred at a private home in North Carolina, where a Volt caught on fire while charging in a garage.
While NHTSA denied that the Volt posed any extra safety risk, sources say that U.S. regulators have since approached OEMs planning to sell electric vehicles regarding the safety of their batteries.
More: Chevrolet Volt Fires Investigated, Batteries Blamed