Chevrolet Volt Reliability - better info - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum > Chevy Volt Discussion > Chevy Volt General Discussion
Register Home Forum Auto Loans Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

VoltForums.com is the premier Chevrolet Volt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:52 PM

Default Chevrolet Volt Reliability - better info

I wanted more up-to-date car reliability information that made the differences between cars clearer. So a few years ago I started getting people together to make this possible. TrueDelta now updates actual repair frequencies, not just dots, four times a year, to track cars closely as they age.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, following the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, participants receive full access to all results, not just those for the Volt, for free. I'll share results for the Volt in this thread after each update.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Car reliability research
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM

We have a preliminary reliability stat for the Volt based on owner experiences through June 30, 2012. With a reported repair frequency of 15 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the Volt is better than average. (As are the Prius and LEAF.)

This is based on a small sample size. We'll have a more precise stat with the next update, later this month.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Chevrolet Volt reliability ratings and comparisons
Old 11-20-2012, 08:18 PM

i'm still waiting for someone to tell me what their annual savings are with the volt over a standard engine
Old 11-22-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briando View Post
i'm still waiting for someone to tell me what their annual savings are with the volt over a standard engine
I was spending about $200 per month for gas for my 2011 Malibu. Now I spend about $30 per month for electricity for my Volt. So in gas alone I am saving about $2040 per year. In routine maintenance I will change the oil once every 2 years instead of twice a year and the brake pads should never need to be replaced. I expect that at some time in the future I will have to buy some gas, but so far, in the last 1200 miles I have used only 1.5 gallons of gas.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:55 AM

Judging from the link in that post--it goes to a particular Chevy dealer--briando might be a spambot. But good answer!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:03 PM

We have an updated reliability stat for the Volt based on owner experiences through September 30, 2012. With a reported repair frequency of 15 repair trips per 100 cars per year, the Volt is better than average.

We'll have further updates later this month and in May. With more owners involved, we could provide more precise results and cover both model years.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help:

Old 07-07-2013, 05:40 PM

We've updated our reliability stats for the Volt to include owner experiences through March 31, 2013.

Repair frequencies, in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2013 Volt: 35, moderate, small sample size (which probably explains why it's higher than the 2012)

2012 Volt: 13, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2012 Volt: 88, < 1

We'll have further updates in August and in November. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

For the details, including the descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 09-27-2013, 04:52 PM

We've updated our reliability stats for the Volt to include owner experiences through June 30, 2013. (Another source is about 14 months behind.)

2013 Volt: 26, low
2012 Volt: 15, low

We have two additional statistics, "Nada-odds" and "Lemon-odds", to indicate the percentage of cars with no repairs in the past year and those that required 3+ trips to the repair shop:

2012 Volt: 87, < 1

We'll have further updates in November and February.

To view competitors' scores and descriptions of reported repairs, and to sign up to help:

Old 01-26-2014, 08:11 PM

We've updated our reliability stats for the Volt to include owner experiences through September 30, 2013.

2013 Volt: 38, moderate
2012 Volt: 25, low

2012 Volt: 80, < 1

We'll have further updates in February and in May. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see how competitors compare, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 PM

We've updated our reliability stats for the Volt to include owner experiences through December 31, 2013.

2013 Volt: 57, high
2012 Volt: 35, moderate

2013 Volt: 70, < 1
2012 Volt: 72, < 1

We'll have further updates in May and in August. The more owners participate, the more comprehensive and precise these will be.

To see the repairs behind these stats, and to sign up to help improve this information:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement