Heater and defrost in Volt - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum > Chevy Volt Discussion > Chevy Volt General Discussion
Register Home Forum Auto Loans Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

VoltForums.com is the premier Chevrolet Volt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:59 AM

Default Heater and defrost in Volt

My wife and I have been keeping an eye on the Volt since it came out. We've test driven three times. I like the way it drives and I really think Chevrolet has refined this car. Other than a few annoying design flaws we think we could seriously get into one. Today we took it for a long test drive here in Washington.

The first thing we noticed was the heat would not stay on, the car kept shutting the heat off, also the defrost doesn't work for squat. I mentioned the heat shutting off to the salesperson and they said it was normal and that the car would shut it off to conserve energy. I don't know about anyone else but when it's 38 degrees outside I want the inside cabin temp to maintain at least at 68 degrees.

Is this truly normal? The engine was running and the car seemed to be running normal.

Also does the defrost really suck that much? I hate driving a car with fogged up windows, even my race car can keep the windows from fogging up and it doesn't even have an evaporator!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 PM

Good Evening SilverVolt,

I apologize you had a bad experience with the Volt. There are a couple of factors that will play a part with the heat/ac. There is a humidity sensor in the cabin that will monitor and adjust the heat/ac as needed to balance the humidity. Please give the Volt Advisor's a call and they will be more than happy to further discuss your experience. 877-486-5846 We would love to see you in a Volt of your own!

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverVolt View Post
My wife and I have been keeping an eye on the Volt since it came out. We've test driven three times. I like the way it drives and I really think Chevrolet has refined this car. Other than a few annoying design flaws we think we could seriously get into one. Today we took it for a long test drive here in Washington.

The first thing we noticed was the heat would not stay on, the car kept shutting the heat off, also the defrost doesn't work for squat. I mentioned the heat shutting off to the salesperson and they said it was normal and that the car would shut it off to conserve energy. I don't know about anyone else but when it's 38 degrees outside I want the inside cabin temp to maintain at least at 68 degrees.

Is this truly normal? The engine was running and the car seemed to be running normal.

Also does the defrost really suck that much? I hate driving a car with fogged up windows, even my race car can keep the windows from fogging up and it doesn't even have an evaporator!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverVolt View Post

First, let me say, don't ask the salesman anything about the car. Sadly, most don't have a clue about the Volt. Go over to gm-volt dot com, that is where most Volt owners gather and talk about their ride. If you want to find out about the Volt you will have better luck searching it out on your own.

As for the heat, what was the temperature set to? Your test drive car probably had the climate system set to ECO which is a "weak" heater but it does the job most of the time. There is also a "Comfort" setting that works as good as any other car but it uses about twice the power of eco mode and will affect the EV range.

Now the defroster, I have not had any complaints about mine. The "auto defog" has occasionally gotten behind in keeping the windshield clear but I just touch the manual control and it has always cleared the windshield quickly.

Hope you get your own soon. I have had mine about 3.5 months and after 2900 miles I have only used 2.5 gallons of gas. This is FUN.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:44 AM

Thank you for the*informative*posts.

Last edited by Snivlykosh; 06-16-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement