Hybrid or Plug in - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum > Chevy Volt Discussion > Chevy Volt General Discussion
Register Home Forum Auto Loans Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

VoltForums.com is the premier Chevrolet Volt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 PM

Default Hybrid or Plug in

Hello,

I need help in selecting what's best for my commute - Hybrid or Plug in/Hybrid.

Here's my situation, round trip to and from work from my house will be around 180 miles about 175 miles freeway+traffic - if no traffic MPH will average 75 to 80. I do not have any charging stations at work

I'm looking at leasing a Volt, but i'm ignorant/confused on which vehicle will better suit me.

Volt is good for 60 miles(?) with electricity before regular gas kicks in...means that it's only good for one way. When gas kicks in it's good for low 30's MPG.

Also, considering a Ford C-Max which is supposedly good for 47MPG, but most people only get around mid 30's. Also, C-Max should be least expensive.

Please advise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 03:12 PM

look, i don't care what they do with the volt, i'm just tired of the conversation, there needs to be a clear cut goal with this thing. is it gas mileage or just something to brag about
Old 01-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Default depends on your mileage

My girlfriend purchased a Prius C about 6 moths ago, and I purchased a Chevy Volt about 2 months ago, so here's my 2 cents worth.

First thing is the Volt doesn't get 60 miles on electric before kicking over to gas, except in idela conditions. Figure it will get around 40 miles on a charge, and probably less if you're driving at 75-80 most of the way. Also one you've used up the battery charge you're looking in the mid 30's to about 40 MPG on the gas. So the Volt is best at shorter trips, where the overall average between electric and gas use is high. An example would be if you you had a round trip of 80 mile and you got 40 on electric and 40 on gas, then your overall gas mileage would be 80 MPG But as you go beyond that the MPG numbers get lower, and with your round trip of approx 175 miles your average MPG will probably be in the low 40's. (One trip of 240 miles for me averaged about 41 MPG.)

For the Prius C my girlfriend averages about 50 MPG, so for longer trips her Prius gets better gas mileage than my Volt. So if you're doing daily long trips and it's gas savings you're looking for, the Prius is the better option. But that of course doesn't take into account ride quality, which the Volt definitely beats the Prius on.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:56 PM

Default Volt vs Prius math....

Here is how the math works out.
If the Prius gets 50 mpg and the Volt gets 40 MPG after the battery is gone.
200 miles is the cross over point.
For a Volt to go 200 miles the first 40 is all electric leaving 160 miles to go on gas. At 40mpg you burn 4 gallons.
For the Prius to go 200 miles at 50mpg you burn 4 gallons.
So if you drive less than 200 miles the Volt will use less gas, over 200 miles then the Prius uses less gas.
At 180 miles per day you would not be saving that much in a Volt over the Prius, BUT....You would be driving a Volt!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:30 AM

Default Outstanding

Great replies folks and I think some enthusiasts will definitely benefit from your help and knowledge.

Drive safe and go Volt
Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 PM

My wife has gotten 500+ mpg during the 8,000 + miles she has driven her Volt. She usuallyu makes two round trips to Honolulu from Kailua everday and on most occasions is able to make it all on battteries. We have a 220 Volt charger and 28 PV cells on the roof. So the "fuel" comes mostly from the sun. Generally she charges twice a day. If your commute is less than 40 miles round trip, the Volt is a great choice disregarding the initial cost. If you have a long commute or are using it all day as a Taxi, then get a Prius C. The Volt is a sexy car that is a lot of fun to drive. But as others have pointed out, it's designed for shorter trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement