Lower Battery Range than expected - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum > Chevy Volt Discussion > Chevy Volt General Discussion
Register Home Forum Auto Loans Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

VoltForums.com is the premier Chevrolet Volt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 PM

Default Lower Battery Range than expected

So I just leased a 2013 Chevy volt now with about 80 miles on it. I live in Southern California, so although a little chilly, not so cold. At night, Maybe 48 F at the very lowest, but probably closer to 55. 70's in the daytime.

I have noticed that my odometer mileage is quite a bit less then the battery indicator says I should get. I try to keep that little ball thing in the center and can do that nearly 80% of the time. On stops, I have been downshifting to L to regenerate a little more electricity. I really haven't run the Climate controls that much, I mean for the 3 hours of drive time, I have only operated the climate controls for about 20 minutes. I do run the XM radio while I drive. Lights on Auto. I have run it about 50/50 on highway and city. Whats occurs as strange, is its the city driving where I most notice the loss in battery power vs mileage. I don't have a lot of mileage data, but I am guessing I am only getting actual mileage about 70-80% of what the battery indicator says.

Now here are some interesting points. When I bought the car, there was virtually no charge. At home, I have only been able to charge the car at 120V 8amps, and over the last two days have never gotten a full charge yet. I have gotten it up to about 26 miles once.

Any insights would be helpful. Am I missing anything? Is this 'normal'?

I will reset the trip odometer today after my first full charge and see what happens.

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug183 View Post
So I just leased a 2013 Chevy volt now with about 80 miles on it. I live in Southern California, so although a little chilly, not so cold. At night, Maybe 48 F at the very lowest, but probably closer to 55. 70's in the daytime.

I have noticed that my odometer mileage is quite a bit less then the battery indicator says I should get. I try to keep that little ball thing in the center and can do that nearly 80% of the time. On stops, I have been downshifting to L to regenerate a little more electricity. I really haven't run the Climate controls that much, I mean for the 3 hours of drive time, I have only operated the climate controls for about 20 minutes. I do run the XM radio while I drive. Lights on Auto. I have run it about 50/50 on highway and city. Whats occurs as strange, is its the city driving where I most notice the loss in battery power vs mileage. I don't have a lot of mileage data, but I am guessing I am only getting actual mileage about 70-80% of what the battery indicator says.

Now here are some interesting points. When I bought the car, there was virtually no charge. At home, I have only been able to charge the car at 120V 8amps, and over the last two days have never gotten a full charge yet. I have gotten it up to about 26 miles once.

Any insights would be helpful. Am I missing anything? Is this 'normal'?

I will reset the trip odometer today after my first full charge and see what happens.

Doug
Good Morning Doug,

Congrats on your newly leased Volt! Cold weather plays a part on the EV range. Your Dedicated Volt Advisor can further explain this for you. If you want to provide me with the last 8 of your VIN and the best method of contact for you. I will be more than happy to get you in contact with your Volt Advisor. Or if you would like feel free to call any of our Volt Advisor's at 877-486-5846.

Happy Driving!

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug183 View Post

Doug
Are you not able to charge on 12 amps or do you just not know how the select 12 amps? If it is the latter then on the Charge Mode Status Screen, I believe it comes up when the charge door button is pressed, select "Change Charge Level" then select "Maximum - 12 Amps". The 2013 models default to 8 amps on every drive so you will have to select 12 amps every time you stop to charge. The first time you do this you may want to monitor the wall plug for excessive heat, just in case your wiring is not up to a 12 amp draw.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:18 AM

You should get a 240V wallbox. Charging takes more than one night with 120V. Get a full charge, preheat your car, and then you'll see a higher range.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornature View Post
Charging takes more than one night with 120V. Get a full charge, preheat your car, and then you'll see a higher range.
On the 12 amp setting the Volt will get a full charge in less than 10 hours.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 PM

Smile No problems for me

I got my 2013 Volt in December and as of today have about 7K miles on it. It is my daily commuter, 120 mile round trip. I also had a 220 volt charger installed and us the delayed charge every night. Lately I have been seeing my range right at 40 miles. I run the car on electricity to get to the freeway and then I switch to HOLD driving mode to get to work and I do the reverse on the way home. I usually get home with 3 or 4 miles left of range. I plug in and it is ready to go my 3:30 the next morning. I have had no problems with the car or the charging system and it is the perfect car for my commute.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfdesign View Post
I got my 2013 Volt in December and as of today have about 7K miles on it. It is my daily commuter, 120 mile round trip. I also had a 220 volt charger installed and us the delayed charge every night. Lately I have been seeing my range right at 40 miles. I run the car on electricity to get to the freeway and then I switch to HOLD driving mode to get to work and I do the reverse on the way home. I usually get home with 3 or 4 miles left of range. I plug in and it is ready to go my 3:30 the next morning. I have had no problems with the car or the charging system and it is the perfect car for my commute.
I think it's much better if you arrive home with 0 electric range left. Why save it?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:38 AM

Default Mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfdesign View Post
I have a similar commute. What is your lifetime MPG?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 AM

Your Devoted Voltage Consultant can further describe this for you. If you want to offer me with the last 8 of your VIN and the best technique of get in touch with for you. I hope by simply just googling your problem might have provide you with an appropriate solution.

A motorhome is the best way to see the sights of Australia at your own pace!

Last edited by StevinStephan; 10-22-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:55 AM

Default Battery mileage

I live in Michigan where we get extremes of weather winter and summer. I have gotten as much as 50 miles on a full charge, and as little as 36. Weather definitely affects it. So does driving style. I find I get my best mileage running back roads where I have a lot of twists and turns. I also never use the cruise control. I have had my Volt since Feb and have over 10,000 miles on it. My lifetime MPG is 98. My daily commute for the first 4 months of its life was 100 miles. After that I moved closer to work,but I am still running on gas more then I'd like. Really hoping for more public charging stations in the near future.

Anyhow...enjoy your Volt and keep working on that battery mileage. You'll get there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement