Low mileage in the cold weather? How low? - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum > Chevy Volt Discussion > Chevy Volt General Discussion
Register Home Forum Auto Loans Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

VoltForums.com is the premier Chevrolet Volt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 PM

Default Low mileage in the cold weather? How low?

I have had a Volt for about 15 months now. I live in NY, just north of NYC. Last winter the car got between 27-31 miles per charge when it was under 40 degrees.

This year, since we have been having the same weather I am only getting 18-21 per charge. My driving is the same, I use very little defrosting and seat warming. Short commute to and from the train every day.

Does anyone else who lives in cold climates get this type of results? I am thinking something is wrong but I want to hear from my fellow Volt owners in cold climates.

Thanks for any info you can share! Happy New Year!!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 10:30 PM

Hi MikeSwift,

Did you have winter tires on it?

With my Nokian Hakkapelita 7 studded, I obtain exactly HALF of what I have in summer in autonomy, so the tires plays a big role in autonomy as much as cold temperatures.

From what I see your results are almost the same as mine, I bet the cold temperature is really impacting your results, but have a good look on tire pressure before each ride, in cold temperature it can vary a lot and in my case it explained a lot of bad results, using nitrogen will greatly help stabilizing tire pressures.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSwift View Post
I have had a Volt for about 15 months now. I live in NY, just north of NYC. Last winter the car got between 27-31 miles per charge when it was under 40 degrees.

This year, since we have been having the same weather I am only getting 18-21 per charge. My driving is the same, I use very little defrosting and seat warming. Short commute to and from the train every day.

Does anyone else who lives in cold climates get this type of results? I am thinking something is wrong but I want to hear from my fellow Volt owners in cold climates.

Thanks for any info you can share! Happy New Year!!

Mike
While that number certainly is a huge drop there are conceivably many things that can affect it. Even your driving can change the range. I learned that the Volt learns your driving behaviors (or better yet your driving conditions) then shows the corresponding range in charge. So you could be charging the same amount of juice yet the car thinks that you'll be getting less mileage due to current conditions. Weird.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement