volt battery charging question - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum > Chevy Volt Discussion > Chevy Volt General Discussion
Register Home Forum Auto Loans Active Topics (T) Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

VoltForums.com is the premier Chevrolet Volt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 AM

Default volt battery charging question

just bought a volt on Wed. just wondering if it's necessary to kill the battery every now and then to help make sure it doesn't develop the dreaded battery "memory" for those of you that have had your volt for a while do you think that is necessary?

TIA
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dan View Post
just bought a volt on Wed. just wondering if it's necessary to kill the battery every now and then to help make sure it doesn't develop the dreaded battery "memory" for those of you that have had your volt for a while do you think that is necessary?

TIA
Dan
No. You are thinking of NiCad batteries. The Volt battery is lithium. You can plug it in at any state of charge. There is no memory problem.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:10 AM

thank you .......
Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 AM

thanks!....................
Old 07-25-2012, 11:03 AM

Hello,

I have just purchased a new Chevrolet Volt and I would like to offer to others at this site, a chance to help assist them with producing their own electricity when charging their Chevy volts. I have a Solar PV company that sells kits (www.solarkitdirect.com) at a very competive price throughout North America. I was wondering if you knew how I could possibly get this information out to others in this forum, this allowing others to take advantage of this opportunity.

I have just installed a 3kw system on my home to support the charging of my vehicle and would like to help others do the same.

Any help will be appreciated.

Tony Galante
Tony@solarkitdirect.com
www.solarkitdirect.com
Old 07-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Default solar charge

tony
nice to hear someone is is going to, or try, to use pv solar. i have the solar and the true sine wave inverter, but when i read the volt manual, I am not sure. hope we get some facts on this. right now i am using the power for other things. ken
Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Go to gm-volt.com and search for solar. There are several owners on that site that use solar power.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:23 PM

i got the best information on volt battery now i can share this information to my friend also
thanks.. for sharing this information.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:06 AM

Default Related question about battery memory...

Hi, I just picked up my 2013 Volt yesterday.

For the longevity of the battery pack, would it be better to recharge as often as you can or wait for a particular % full or run it all the way down?

I usually will be driving 5 consecutive days of 10 mile trips. Should I recharge each night, or perhaps wait until the third day (after 30 miles) or fourth day (40 miles) to recharge? I'm pretty sure I can get the 40 on my commute without using the on-board generator. My goal is to maximize the longevity of the battery pack within reason.

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie510 View Post
Hi, I just picked up my 2013 Volt yesterday.

For the longevity of the battery pack, would it be better to recharge as often as you can or wait for a particular % full or run it all the way down?

I usually will be driving 5 consecutive days of 10 mile trips. Should I recharge each night, or perhaps wait until the third day (after 30 miles) or fourth day (40 miles) to recharge? I'm pretty sure I can get the 40 on my commute without using the on-board generator. My goal is to maximize the longevity of the battery pack within reason.

Thanks!
The battery pack has a management system that takes care of the battery at all times. For this reason alone it is best to plug in when ever possible so that it can work from grid power instead of the battery. If you are worried about the battery building a "memory", don't. These batteries don't have memory issues. Also, this forum doesn't get much traffic, most Volt owners visit GM-Volt dot com, it is very active and you can get lots of info there. Welcome to the Volt club and don't worry about the battery just enjoy the car.
Oh, I almost forgot, also check out voltstats dot net. You can sign up for free and it will track your mileage thru Onstar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement