Who has actually driven a Volt? - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
igotzzoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8
Who has actually driven a Volt?

Just curious as to how many of you have actually driven the Volt? I was fortunate enough to get some seat time in one at the 2010 LA Auto show, and was very impressed. It's a very unique driving experience.
igotzzoom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotzzoom View Post
Just curious as to how many of you have actually driven the Volt? I was fortunate enough to get some seat time in one at the 2010 LA Auto show, and was very impressed. It's a very unique driving experience.
how much different was it from driving a regular gasoline powered car?

Hopefully i can get some seat time in the volt at the Detroit Auto Show
mikey is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
igotzzoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
how much different was it from driving a regular gasoline powered car?

Hopefully i can get some seat time in the volt at the Detroit Auto Show
Smooth is the best way I can describe it. The torque output from the electric motor is constant and uninterrupted. Even though it's not "fast" in the traditional sense, it doesn't feel at all underpowered. Even though not as forceful, acceleration feels like taking off in a jet. Just smooth, uninterrupted thrust. Even with the range-extender on, the car is exceptionally quiet.

Interior is well-finished & high-tech, but it's apparent you'd have to do an hour-or-two sit-down to get fully oriented with all the features and functions of the dash panel. And there's no getting around the fact that it's a compact. It's definitely not a replacement for the family Suburban. But if you're coming from a compact sedan, it won't be a big adjustment.

In terms of the control familiarity (brakes, throttle, shifter) it's fairly conventional, which is good. If you get a chance to drive it, I think you'll be impressed.
igotzzoom is offline  
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotzzoom View Post
Smooth is the best way I can describe it. The torque output from the electric motor is constant and uninterrupted. Even though it's not "fast" in the traditional sense, it doesn't feel at all underpowered. Even though not as forceful, acceleration feels like taking off in a jet. Just smooth, uninterrupted thrust. Even with the range-extender on, the car is exceptionally quiet.

Interior is well-finished & high-tech, but it's apparent you'd have to do an hour-or-two sit-down to get fully oriented with all the features and functions of the dash panel. And there's no getting around the fact that it's a compact. It's definitely not a replacement for the family Suburban. But if you're coming from a compact sedan, it won't be a big adjustment.

In terms of the control familiarity (brakes, throttle, shifter) it's fairly conventional, which is good. If you get a chance to drive it, I think you'll be impressed.
From your experience, do you think the Volt is worth the $41 000 it's selling at? I can't justify spending that much on a compact car, too much. Would love to hear from someone with seat time in a Volt
statusvolt is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
igotzzoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by statusvolt View Post
From your experience, do you think the Volt is worth the $41 000 it's selling at? I can't justify spending that much on a compact car, too much. Would love to hear from someone with seat time in a Volt
That's a highly subjective question. Measured by the conventional yardsticks of value for compacts, it could be seen as over-priced. You really have to look at it as being in a class of one. Also, the economics of ownership don't make sense for everyone. I'd honestly say if your daily commute is more than 50 miles, a Volkswagen TDI or a Prius would make more sense. But if you use it as intended, and charge it each night, and your commute is less than 50 miles a day, it's worth considering.
igotzzoom is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotzzoom View Post
That's a highly subjective question. Measured by the conventional yardsticks of value for compacts, it could be seen as over-priced. You really have to look at it as being in a class of one. Also, the economics of ownership don't make sense for everyone. I'd honestly say if your daily commute is more than 50 miles, a Volkswagen TDI or a Prius would make more sense. But if you use it as intended, and charge it each night, and your commute is less than 50 miles a day, it's worth considering.
It's true the Volt is in a class of one, since the electric hybrid/plug-in car is new and evolving. This is defiantly a car to consider, since the typical everyday American commutes about 50 or less miles daily for work.
statusvolt is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16
Drove one for about 30 miles at a GM media event. I was most surprised by how well the Volt handled.

The full review:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...volt-take-two/

TrueDelta.com
Car reliability, real-world fuel economy, and price comparisons
mkaresh is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4
My commute is 30 miles so I drive all the way to work on battery. If work lets me plug in then I'll be able to commute to and from work and barely touch the gas tank.
12 Volts is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Hi

I wasnt too sure what to think of the volt at first but after driving it i really like it alot


Tyler,
Diesel Fuel Additives
Dieselfueladditives is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Elkhart Lake, WI
Posts: 18
its a nice ride, its not all that special but its a real nice ride. passed thru a small town that had a chevy dealership with two sitting ont he lot marked for less than 300 a month. that plus the gas savings would be pretty special
briando is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome