Anyone else getting better than 60 miles on a charge on a 2017? - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Anyone else getting better than 60 miles on a charge on a 2017?

Now that the weather has warmed up I am seeing high 50s low 60s on range when I charge up. This is born out by the odometer when I run the battery flat. Anyone else getting this range or is this an anomaly?

When automakers ask to lower emission standards, they are asking permission to kill more people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 01:35 PM

Mine is running 55 miles right now. I've found that two factors affect my estimated mileage. One is outside temperature and the other is driving type.

During the cold months a full charge only gave me 48 miles and I noticed several times while driving the ICE would kick in with the notice it was running due to low temperature. I did a lot of freeway driving at 60 mph (or less) during this time. Lately I've just been driving locally, running errands around town with top speed around 35. Charging after a day of driving like this yields a 55 avg battery range when complete. Just guessing but I think the algorithm that calculates estimated mileage uses a lot of recent driving history to yield it's results.

Regardless, I find that I get enough range from my battery (4 mo old 2017 Volt) I still have close to a 200mpg avg shown on the useage screen. In 4 months and ~2500 miles I have yet to purchase what would be a full tank. Have topped it off two times totaling 7 gallons.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMiguelitoLoveless View Post
Now that the weather has warmed up I am seeing high 50s low 60s on range when I charge up. This is born out by the odometer when I run the battery flat. Anyone else getting this range or is this an anomaly?
I'm a snowbird, with one home in Florida, another in New England. Over the winter, I was daily getting 69-71 miles range on an overnight 110 volt recharge. I just made a trip back to New England. It's been about 25 degrees overnight, the car is outside, and my range seems to be cut in half: each range mile goes down in half a traveled road mile. Does anyone else have this problem? What does cold do to the Volt battery? Yesterday, I ran for about 10 miles on "hold" with the thought that more input/output might warm up the battery. Range returned to normal (1 road mile per range mile). Was my thinking right?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I'm a snowbird, with one home in Florida, another in New England. Over the winter, I was daily getting 69-71 miles range on an overnight 110 volt recharge. I just made a trip back to New England. It's been about 25 degrees overnight, the car is outside, and my range seems to be cut in half: each range mile goes down in half a traveled road mile. Does anyone else have this problem? What does cold do to the Volt battery? Yesterday, I ran for about 10 miles on "hold" with the thought that more input/output might warm up the battery. Range returned to normal (1 road mile per range mile). Was my thinking right?
Batteries of all types lose efficiency when cold. When cold I try to pre-condition before driving and car is still plugged in to the grid. This warms the battery as well as interior before I start driving. I use my smartphone app to see when the pre-condition will end (usually shows as when charge will end. On a real cold day I run two pre-condition cycles to get the interior warmer.

Not only is the battery less efficient when cold, you also are using more energy to keep the interior warm enough that you don't need to wear arctic clothing while driving Think of it as anything that uses electricity that is not going through the motor is cutting range.

I've quit worrying about all the minutia of where power is going and how much electric range I'm getting. I find that setting climate control on ECO, the temp at 72, and driving like I've always driven gets me a nice high "composite" mileage of over 200 mpg. Maybe a long freeway trip will lower that but it still beats using my pickup truck that only gets 15 mpg on cruise control and no faster than 65 mph avg.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

My experience with my 2012 Leaf is that the colder the weather, the worse the battery performance. Once it drops below 50, range starts to suffer. By the time it gets into the 20s I am losing 30% with heat running.

When automakers ask to lower emission standards, they are asking permission to kill more people.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
My experience with my 2012 Leaf is that the colder the weather, the worse the battery performance. Once it drops below 50, range starts to suffer. By the time it gets into the 20s I am losing 30% with heat running.
And with the Leaf, when your battery is "dead" you don't have an engine to kick on and drive you the rest of the way

When it drops below 30 degrees with my 2017 Volt the ICE will start and supplement heat to the cabin and battery heat/cool system. It only seems to run long enough to raise the engine coolant temp into the 120+ range and then shuts off. I'm guessing that this extra coolant heat provides enough residual heat for the battery system.

I do know that the systems management computer seems to have things well under control. I just drive.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Been driving the Leaf for 2+ years and it has never stranded me, but then I am pretty careful. Though I have arrived home on the electrical equivalent of "fumes".

Now the real trick is to run the Volt out of gas, then arrive at the gas station on battery.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Been driving the Leaf for 2+ years and it has never stranded me, but then I am pretty careful. Though I have arrived home on the electrical equivalent of "fumes".

Now the real trick is to run the Volt out of gas, then arrive at the gas station on battery.
The Volt battery never goes entirely dead. While the engine is running it charges the battery enough to assist with acceleration or dead stops.

If I run both "dead" at the same time I deserve to walk. I could have put the battery on "Hold" if I knew I was low on gas and needed a reserve.

I really liked the Leaf and own a Titan. Nissan products have come a long way over the years. What I preferred however was the extended range of the Volt as sometimes I range a little farther than 100 miles (one way).

Passed on the Ford C-Max because of it's two tiered storage area and reduced EV range. Not for me.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:37 PM

I have the same results when it's cold (in the 30's and 40's) versus when it warmer (> 50's)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 03:53 AM

I just got 2017 Volt a couple weeks ago and my mileage reads to 63 miles for the last 4 days. Weather has been nice, 65. My drive is also a slower 35 - 50 mph going to work. Guessing the estimates the car is making factors in speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode