Why is the Chevy Volt only getting 40 miles on charge? - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Why is the Chevy Volt only getting 40 miles on charge?

My customers have seen other startup companies producing cars that can go 75 mph for 100, or 200 miles. Maybe Chevy doesn't really want an electric car to be successful? Remember the EV-1? In the 90's that car was getting 60 to 100 miles per charge.

Life is beautiful and wonderful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 11:50 PM

When you look at what the Volt can do compared to the EV-1 or any other electric only car I'd say it does a darn good job.

Here's a challenge for those 75, 100, or 200 mile electric cars. Start out on a trip from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic alongside a Volt. Then tell me which ones make it to their destination quickest, without any support vehicle tagging along to recharge them.

With the volt, when the battery goes dead the engine starts and keeps the vehicle going. Performance is not noticeably different. Enough power is replaced in the main battery while the engine is running to handle limited low speed operation, provide for smooth starts from a stop, and enhance overall efficiency by using power from regenerative braking.

I assure you that on a trip like I suggest the Volt driver will be happily driving along while the others will be plotting their stops at charging stations. The Volt owner can even plug his car in at his motel while grabbing 40 winks and not care if he leaves the next morning with a full charge or not.

Oh yes, when it's cold as a well diggers south end, that little "Range Extender" engine will kick on and provide some heat. On an electric only vehicle the battery will heat you too but at the expense of mileage. (unless you put one of those propane heaters in the back seat).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode