Road noise- quiet tires - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Road noise- quiet tires

Hi all. I was asking earlier about quieter tires as I had to replace those on my 2012 Volt. There were a number of suggestions. These were subjective "guesses". I went with the Pirelli P7 Cinturato all season. I have since found some info on line from "America's tire". the P7 is actually rated fairly poor for sound. The best on this list is the Bridgestone Potenza RE97 AS (2) $145.00 9.0 9.5 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 N/A 9.8 100% The 3rd number is the sound and the 100% at the end is how many people would buy this one again.

These (Pirelli) are not bad but con't compare well on this chart to the Bridgestone , only 8.8 in the quiet department with 91% return buyers.
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season
Plus (93) $147.00 8.9 8.9 8.8 8.9 9.2 8.9 8.6 8.9 91%
So if you care about quiet, and I do, make sure you do your homework. Try to find some hard number evaluations instead of word of mouth opinions.
Four more years and I will be able to try some others. Good luck.
nhạc chuông hay, nhac chuong iphone, nhạc chuông không lời

Last edited by MartinL; Yesterday at 07:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:00 AM

If all you do is compare customer reviews you won't get "hard numbers". These are people who often don't know much more about how a tire works than the fact it's mounted on a wheel, goes round and round, and wears out regularly. Buying decisions are usually made on Brand Name, Price, and mileage. I know as I retired from 40 years in the tire industry.

Unless someone has tested the tires with a sound meter inside the car you have no real way to determine what tire is quieter and which is not. Road surface, inflation, how many people and how much luggage is in the vehicle will all change the perception of sound too.

The top names in the business make tires that are as quiet as can be. In fact there is probably very little difference in "sound" when tested in same conditions.

Good luck in your quest and also, in 4 years everything will have changed so you will really need good luck.

Lastly, in your quest for "silent" just remember that you may be sacrificing low rolling resistance. Might be better off just spraying sound deadening material inside each wheel well and buy the best low rolling resistance tire available that also provides good wet/dry, temp, and wear performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode