Chevy Volt tires issue - Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Angry Chevy Volt tires issue

I got my 2nd Volt last month. Although overall I am a happy camper on this car, I do see an issue with it's tires needing replacement in most flat tire cases, as compared to other cars. I am not sure if anyone has had as much of tire issue with Volts as I have. On my previous Volt I had 4 flat tire incidents, 3 times I had to replace the tire and once it was deemed repairable. Now with this 2nd Volt, with barely 800+ miles on it I encountered a flat over the weekend and the dealer called up to say tire needs replacement. Upon further probing he indicated that this a frequent problem with Volts. That they replace at least 10 a month.

With a wallet hit of $183 I am starting to see how one can easily loose the value of getting a Volt if indeed this is a problem with the kind of tires, rim etc. that has been selected for this car.

Has anyone else observed this issue with tires on Volts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 01:07 PM

I'm a new Volt owner and can't really speak to other's problems with tires on the Volt but I have over 40 years of experience in auto repair/service, the last 17 years with a major tire company.

One of the most common reasons a tire needs to be replaced after a "flat" is that the tire was driven on after it lost most of it's air.

If a vehicle is equipped with a TPMS that merely warns of a low tire, often the tire is low enough that it overheats and starts to come apart.

I have always recommended that one should check tire pressure manually (with a good gauge) on a regular basis to prevent the "run flat" situation. Often a puncture is caused by a small object that causes air to leak very slowly. Catch the pressure loss early and the chances of a repair versus replacement will be more likely.

Again, I don't know your specific situation but generally, tires usually fail after a puncture because they were run in a flat, or mostly flat, condition. If your TPMS system actually shows tire pressures fine, but as a President once said "Trust but verify. Keep a good tire gauge on hand (The $10 one, not the $1.98 one) and check tire pressures regularly. I do it weekly when washing the vehicle.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 08:47 AM

Not sure where you drive to get so many flats, that's odd right off the bat.

I have not had a flat on my Volt yet, so I really can't say, but I see no way possible that the make and model have anything to do if a tire is repairable or needs to be replaced ??????

If I get a nail in a tire on my Volt, how is that different than getting a nail in a tire on say a Nissan Sentra, you having to replace all these tires make no sense to me.
Sorry I was no help, but maybe you should go to a different tire shop.
http://bestringtones.mobi/sms-message-tones/,
http://bestringtones.mobi/instrumental-ringtones/,
http://bestringtones.mobi/country-music-ringtones/

Last edited by JamieD; 03-13-2017 at 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevrolet Volt Forums: Chevy Volt Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode